Thursday, January 21, 2010

The loss of loved ones

I think about my mom and dad almost everyday. It was tough losing them both so close together. I remember the Saturday before Easter in 2007. It was a pretty nice day. Mac and I invited all the family over for dinner. Mom was not in the best of health to say the least.
One issue was her balance. She used a walker most of the time. It was close to dinner time and I started out side to call the grand kids in and low and behold their was mom swinging on the swing. We all looked in amazement and chucked because we hadn't seen that in years. Mom was very happy that day. During a meal mom would usually not finish everything on her plate, but today she had thirds on some things. Two days later she was in the hospital. On Wednesday April 11, 2007 at 3:00 am she past away in her sleep. It was my birthday on Friday with a big BBQ planned that evening. We had a house full of relatives so we had a party anyway. I think mom would have been mad if we didn't. The funeral was held at the Coltrin Mortuary on Saturday and a graveside in Boise on Monday. My Dad was at the funeral and the dinner at the house after the funeral. I had a chance to talk with Dad and Keith after the graveside. Keith headed back to Las Vegas, Mac and I to Idaho falls. Tuesday one of our good friends call to tell us the her husband Rod had passed away. She told us the the funeral was on Saturday and asked us to sing two songs. That same day I received a call from Keith. He asked if I had talked to dad. I told him no but I had tried numerous times with no response. I also told him that it was not unusual. He was always losing his cell phone and would call a day or two later and ask if I had tried to call and I would tell him only fifty times. Fortunately Keith didn't except my answer and called the RV Park were dad had his 5th wheel. They told Keith they had found him on the floor of the 5th wheel unconscious. Dad went to the hospital and Keith headed back to Boise. Keith called Wednesday morning to tell me that dad went to stand up, lost his balance, reached for the TV to steady himself but actually fell pulling the TV down on top of him and that he had been laying on the floor for two days. He said that dad had pneumonia probably caused by laying on the floor. Mac packed our bags and we left for Boise as soon as I got off work. We got into Boise to late to go to the hospital, but we were at the hospital first thing Thursday morning. Dad looked very rough, had not shaved in days also look real groggy. The hospital had done a battery of test and the test results were not good news. The Doctor told us that dad had leukemia with a life expectancy from days to a couple of weeks. We made plans for dad to come and live with us. Mac and I went to Rod's funeral sang our songs and after the funeral went back the hospital. They had moved dad out of the ICU to a private room. The Doctor told us that dad could be released by Tuesday to travel to Idaho falls. Mac and I needed to get home to have things set up for dad when he got here, so we left Saturday afternoon. As I walked out of his room, I turned and said "dad we will see you on Tuesday, I love you dad." He said "I love you too."
I am telling this story because of what I learned. You see I don't ever remember telling my dad that i loved him nor he telling me he loved me. We were manly men and didn't have to say those words. We each new we loved each other, I hope. Those three words need to be said often to those we love. I am glad my dad and I exchanged I love you because it was the last words we said to each other.
Dad never made it to Idaho Falls, but we were back in Boise a few days later because dad had a relapse. He was in a coma when we arrived and never regained consciousness. Mac and I were sitting next to dad when he passed away.
It was a difficult three weeks losing mom then our friend Rod and then my Dad.

3 comments:

Larsen said...

THose were some tough weeks. I am glad you wrote this up, because I don't think I have ever heard that whole story about your dad. I knew most of it, I think, but definitely not about you saying good by and him saying I love you.

I think of them frequently too, and I only had them in my life for a few years in comparison to you and Kyle and the rest of the family.

Catelyn remembers Grandma Starkey and has talked about her a few times too. She remembers that she died and went to be resurrected. Pretty cute, kid she is.

Anonymous said...

I loved Forest as if he were my own grandpa...in fact I didn't really understand that he wasn't until I was 12 or 13. I nearly cried reading this but I'll never forget his smile. I agree with you fulling on saying I love you...and I do love you!

Larsen said...

great post pops!! definitely pulls at the heart strings. you had/have great parents!! the best grandparents a kid could ask for. love ya man!
kyle